American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases - United States
Summary and objectives
AASLD's Mission: To advance and disseminate the science and practice of hepatology, and to promote liver health and quality patient care
AASLD's key activities include:
- Guideline development: AASLD develops evidence-based practice guidelines and practice guidances which are updated regularly by a committee of hepatology experts and include recommendations of preferred approaches to the diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive aspects of care. https://www.hcvguidelines.org/
- Conferences: AASLD annually hosts The Liver Meeting®, which is the largest worldwide scientific conference on liver diseases. It also conducts several regional liver disease meetings that vary in topic and emphasis.
- Journals: AASLD also publishes three major scientific journals on liver disease: Hepatology, Liver Transplantation and Clinical Liver Disease.
- Clinical Liver Disease is a multimedia review journal. It is clinical in focus and blends text, audio, video, webinars and other multimedia into an interactive resource for all physicians and healthcare providers with liver disease patients
- Education: AASLD hosts both in-person and online continuing education opportunities for its members. Find out more about upcoming opportunities: https://www.aasld.org/calendar
- Awareness: AASLD promotes and participates in awareness campaigns to bring attention to liver disease. For example, Hepatitis Awareness Month is in May each year.
- Public policy: Bringing attention to key issues affecting the field of hepatology. Learn more about AASLD's public policy committee at: https://www.aasld.org/programs-initiatives/public-policy
Call to action to accelerate HCV elimination
In November 2019, the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD), European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL), Asian-Pacific Association for the Study of the Liver (APASL) and Latin American Association for the Study of the Liver (ALEH), in partnership with CHAI, announced a global call-to-action at the 2019 Liver Meeting in Boston to simplify hepatitis C testing and treatment.
Read more about the Call to Action here: https://www.globalhep.org/news/coalition-liver-associations-calls-simplifying-hepatitis-c-care