World Hepatitis Day 2022 Event Round-Up
World Hepatitis Day- July 28th- is an important day each year to raise awareness of the burden of hepatitis B and C worldwide and come together to re-commit to achieving hepatitis B (HBV) and hepatitis C (HCV) elimination goals. Learn more about World Hepatitis Day here.
This year's theme is "I Can't Wait." Below is a round-up of events honoring World Hepatitis Day
Hepatitis B Birth Dose in the African Region: Bridging science and advocacy to eliminate mother to child transmission of HBV
This World Hepatitis Day (WHD), the Coalition for Global Hepatitis Elimination (CGHE) seeks to highlight the continued urgency of implementing hepatitis B birth dose and showcase progress in HepB birth dose policy development, research, and advocacy over the past year. CGHE will convene a virtual session of the HepB Birth Dose Community of Practice to discuss these developments and priorities for accelerating access to HepB birth dose vaccine moving forward.
- Remarks from Dr. Henry Njuguna and Dr. John Ward, Coalition for Global Hepatitis Elimination
- Remarks from WHO AFRO
- Brief presentation on setting the stage
- Newly released 2021 HepB birth dose coverage
- Overview of status of HepB birth dose policies
Highlights in policy development
- Presentation from Uganda NITAG on new HepB birth dose recommendation (latest country to develop policy)
- Remarks from Malawi Ministry of Health—developments in HepB birth dose planning, need for Gavi support
Highlights in research
- Presentation from Dr. Shevanthi Nayagam: Announcing the SHINE-HepB study sponsored by Gavi
- Presentation from Dr. Yusuke Shimakawa
- Presentation from PROLIFICA
Highlights in advocacy
- Report on CGHE initiative to fund civil society HepB birth dose campaigns
- Presentation from Hepatitis Alliance of Ghana
- Presentation from Hepatitis Aid Organization (Uganda)
- Other organizations
- What needs to be done in 2022-2023 to support countries in adopting HepB birth dose policies?
- What are research priorities for informing HepB-BD implementation?
- What new partners can be engaged in promoting HepB birth dose?
- What advocacy messages have been most effective to date?
World Hepatitis Alliance's Community Forum, "I Can't Wait for Hepatitis Elimination" | Webinar | 1 pm BST
Ahead of World Hepatitis Day (WHD) on 28 July, get ready to join the World Hepatitis Alliance's Community Forum, "I Can't Wait for Hepatitis Elimination". In the forum we will hear from people around the globe discussing their experiences of living with hepatitis and why we can't wait for hepatitis elimination.
The panel will tap into the global conversation around eliminating hepatitis by 2030 and offer an open forum for those living with hepatitis.
The panel will be chaired by WHA President, Danjuma Adda.
Panelists will include:
- David Urick, hepatitis B patient advocate, living with hepatitis B, working as a patient care manager.
- Luis Mendão, living with HIV and hepatitis C, currently Chairman of the Board of GAT - Treatment Activists Group.
- Lien Tran, researcher at the WHO Collaborating Centre for Viral Hepatitis, Doherty Institute.
- Silvana Lesidrenska, co-founder of the Hepactive Association in 2009 and current chairman, living with hepatitis B.
- Dee Lee, director and founder of Inno Community Development Organisation
Burnet Institute | Hepatitis free by 2030: Elimination is a human right | Webinar | 12 pm Canberra/ Melbourne, Sydney
WHO | Global briefing webinar: WHO 2022 updated recommendations on HCV simplified service delivery and diagnostics and treatment of adolescents and children with chronic HCV infection | Webinar | 13.00 to 14.30 CET
WHO has released updated HCV guidelines on simplified service delivery (decentralization, integration and task sharing), and diagnostics (use of point of care (POC) HCV viral load assays and reflex viral load testing), and expansion of treatment to include adolescents and children with chronic HCV infection down to 3 years.
The Global briefing webinar will include a series of presentations:
(1) Overview of updated recommendations, their evidence-base and rationale, and key considerations in implementation
(2) Community perspectives on simplified service delivery based on a values and preferences survey
(3) Country profiles of simplified service delivery in action from Malaysia, Georgia, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Egypt.
This will be followed by a Q&A session, and discussion of the implementation of these recommendations to other settings and countries.
World Hepatitis Alliance: Mothers & babies can’t wait – fighting mother-to-child transmission | Webinar | 1 pm BST
This discussion will launch the WHA's whitepaper on PMTCT which outlines the human impact of mother-to-child transmission and includes policy recommendations.
Chair: Dr Su Wang, Medical Director, Center for Asian Health & Viral Hepatitis Programs at Saint Barnabas Medical Center, Past-President World Hepatitis Alliance.
She will be joined by panelists:
- Dr Olufunmilayo Lesi, Regional Medical Officer for Viral Hepatitis, World Health Organization
- Dr Giuseppe Indolfi, Professor of paediatrics, University of Florence
- Nafisa Yussf, Social Researcher and Project Manager at the WHO Collaborating Centre for Viral Hepatitis, The Peter Doherty Institute
- Bisi Bright, Consultant Clinical Pharmacist, Lecturer and Public Health Manager; Vice Chairman and CEO of LiveWell Initiative
Kirby Institute: Strategies to find, test, and treat people living with hep C in Australia | 12 pm AEST
Australia has committed to eliminating hepatitis C by 2030, with targets to increase diagnoses and treatment, and reduce new infections and liver-related deaths. Hepatitis C therapies with cure rates of over 95% are one of the greatest medical advances in decades, having led to declines in liver-related mortality. Our ability to meet the WHO targets in Australia is threatened by declines in annual hepatitis C RNA testing and treatment.
Ahead of World Hepatitis Day, this special event will include presentations from the Kirby Institute; Hepatitis Australia; Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM); and Burnet Institute on efforts to help find, test, and treat people living with hepatitis C in Australia. The seminar will include a panel discussion on the key requirements that are needed to facilitate hepatitis C elimination as we approach 2030.
Check out our event page for latest updates: https://kirby.unsw.edu.au/event/strategies-find-test-and-treat-people-living-hepatitis-c-australia
To learn more about World Hepatitis Day: https://www.worldhepatitisday.org.au/
July 28th: World Hepatitis Day!
World Health Organization | WHO Global Hepatitis Talk show: 'Bringing hepatitis care closer to you' | 1300-1445 CET
On 28 July, the World Health Organization (WHO) will commemorate World Hepatitis Day 2022 under the theme “Bringing hepatitis care closer to you” calling for simplified service delivery of viral hepatitis services, bringing care closer to communities.
El 28 de julio, la Organización Mundial de la Salud (OMS) conmemorará el Día Mundial de la Hepatitis 2022 bajo el lema "Acercar la atención de la hepatitis a usted" promoviendo la simplificación de la prestación de servicios de hepatitis virales, acercando la atención a las comunidades.
*Interpretation available in French, Spanish
Fundación Mexicana para la Salud: Día mundial contra las Hepatitis: Por un futuro sin Hepatitis C | Webinar | 9:00 am Mexico City
La Fundación Mexicana para la Salud y la Fundación Mexicana para la Salud Hepática, invitan al webinar “Día mundial contra las Hepatitis: Por un futuro sin Hepatitis C”. Con la participación de figuras relevantes de la Coalición Global para la Eliminación de la Hepatitis, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Médicas y Nutrición Salvador Zubirán, Centro Nacional para la Prevención y el Control del VIH y el Sida además de la visión de Fundhepa en los temas relacionados con la salud hepática y el plan para erradicar la hepatitis en México.
*Dr. John Ward will present during this event
Ghana Association for the Study of Liver and Digestive Disease: 'Bringing hepatitis care closer to communities- Hep can't wait!' | Stakedholder Meeting / Webinar | 10:30 am Ghana time
Hepatitis B Foundation: #justB Storytellers event | Facebook Live | 10:30-12 PM ET
Hear from David, Jason, and Wendy about their experiences with hepatitis B, what they’ve learned and their personal journeys since releasing their original videos.
WHO EURO Region: Bringing hepatitis care closer to you | Webinar | 9:00 CET
This open online webinar aims to highlight regional progress and achievements since the adoption of the Action Plan and introduce instruments for the way forward in the health sector response to viral hepatitis, including new recommendations for hepatitis C simplified service delivery, diagnosis and treatment; a training curriculum for simplified case management of hepatitis C for non-specialists adapted to regional context; an online repository for good practices; and COVIMPACT-Hepatitis, a project designed and led by Robert Koch Institute in collaboration with the WHO Regional Office for Europe, fully dedicated to hepatitis elimination in the context of the current COVID-19 pandemic in Europe and Central Asia.
See more about events in Australia here: https://www.worldhepatitisday.org.au/events
To add your event to the list, email globalhep [at] taskforce.org